Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hard Knocks - Chris Benoit - A rant

First of all, I would like to apologise for the rather sketchy tribute to Benoit. And an apology in advance if this article is rather incoherent. In my defence, I am writing this with a splitting headache and coupled with the events over the last 24 hours doubt if I am capable of saying anything coherent right now. I also want to get this done with. So - here goes.
First - Kudos to the WWE for the initial handling of the Benoit tragedy, and a great tribute show.
At the same time - as far as WWE corporate and Vince McMahon - FUCK YOU. The McMahon death angle was the most insensitive, disgusting god damn storyline ever and in an industry with an extremely high mortality rate you bloody pricks managed to undermine every single tribute that really meant something. Also for the suits who decided to pull every single mention of Benoit from the WWE site - once again FUCK YOU. So you got a few complaints for the tribute show. BIG DEAL. After Mae Young, Katie Vick, Dr Heeney and McMahons death do you guys even think that a tribute show to Benoit was going to tarnish your image? OK. Benoit murdered his wife and son. He then killed himself. No matter what his personal life was, Benoit was one of the greatest ever technical wrestlers of all time. Period.
I want to go into the reactions of both WWE and TNA after the details came out.
First, from the WWE show it is obvious - Benoit was highly respected as a wrestler and a human being. For the sake of TV ratings there have been a number of angles that have been insensitive and repulsive. Surely for a tragedy like this the WWE could afford to be politically incorrect.
From whatever is being said about Benoit, I gather that people - those who knew him as well as those who knew him only as a wrestler are stunned that he is capable of this. While his wife had filed for divorce in 2003 citing abuse, the two reconciled with Nancy asking the petition to be dismissed. Also note that he was on prescription steroids at the time. And finally think of Wrestlemania 20 - THAT moment - Benoit, Eddie, Nancy, Daniel - I dare a fan to say that he did not shed a tear - or at least have a lump in his throat.
People do things that they do not intend to do under circumstances over which they have no control whatsoever. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE PERSON SHOULD BE JUDGED BY THESE MOMENTS OF MADNESS. I KNOW exactly what I am saying - and I have a right to say it. I have suffered from "Roid rage", and rage in particular. Luckily am off steroids now, and as far as the latter goes professional training such as Landmark Education has helped me a lot. I know what the hell it is to have mood changes that keep you on a high one minute and a blubbering wreck the next - to have anger than urges you to do someone in - to be be in pain that you don't even care if you see the light of day - to have times which are a blank, where you don't know what the fuck you are saying or doing. Yes - these can be treated - but the moments are scary. And the most important thing is that I - as a human being should not be judged on who I really am - not on these moments of fucking insanity. And having a few fair weather friends simply judging me on these few instances than the whole had left a very bitter taste in the mouth which is still there. So when I see the WWE and TNA pulling their tributes, WWE removing every single trace of Benoit from their site - God you bastards I hope you rot in hell. Didn't you pricks hear the wrestlers talk of Benoit? Chavo? Edge? Bret?
Don't you guys even have the sense to understand that what they said about Benoit was as f'n true as what happened on 25th? Again, after being judged and slandererd by a friend who supposedly "knew" me, I guess I shouldn't expect an employer to understand these demons. especially if the employer is Vincent K McMahon.
All I can say is I don't give a rats ass as to what Benoit did on Sunday. Benoit's life should not be judged by a single act of madness. Benoit was a class person who inspired a number of people inside and outside the ring. What he has given to the business is truely amazing. Benoit is a person who can be looked up to not just as a wrestler but as a good man. His legacy is NOT, I repeat IS NOT a few bloody days of insanity.
Again Thank you Chris - Thank you for the memories.
Note. - Referrring to the divorce / abuse in 2003 - Please note it was Nancy herself who asked the judge to dismiss these, including the restraining order. Also note that even their close friends suggest that they were a happy couple. I do not think that Benoits was abusing his wife. I do think that there were episodes of abuse - but they probably to do with his mental state.

Also - if anyone wants to point out that the murders took place over 2 days, the bible placed etc. - Have you ever suffered from roid rage? Mood changes? Depression? If not keep your f'n opinion to yourself.

To all the Benoit Bashers, to TNA, WWE, wwe.com team, Vince McMahon, the fans who wrote in complaining, the TV Networks, and to the people who decided to apologise for the tribute - Fuck yourselves.

Before I finish - First - No matter what you think of Benoit the man, and whether he deserves a tribute or not, Benoit the wrestler deserves to have a tribute. You cannot ignore what this man has done.

Second - This EXCELLENT column on Lords of Pain by degenerate deserves a mention. I was in tears reading it - it was truly cathartic. The column can be found at this link

- Hari

No comments: